Get ready for the trip - part I - sleeping bag
Sleep is an integral part of life. Warm quilt, comfortable mattress, favorite pillow. However, during trips, the bed is replaced with a sleeping mat and sleeping bag.
Finding the right equipment for your trip takes some time. Apart from color, hardly anyone knows where to start. Before buying my sleeping bag, I had the opportunity to visit a few chain stores, I got a handful of information, but I still had the question – What should I choose? Super comfort, extra lightness or a guarantee of durability?
In addition to marketing incentives, I still knew nothing. I started looking for information on the web. For a moment I had the impression that I opened a Pandora's box - hundreds of links to guides, tests and compendia of knowledge about which sleeping bag to choose. I spent almost a whole week browsing these pages until I finally found my ideal. Therefore, if you want to save time and keep the joy of going, use this combination :)
Phase I - Multi-season sleeping bag or for a specific time of year?
|Type of sleeping bag||Temperature
|above + 5 °||artificial|
|from -15 ° to + 5 °||artificial / down|
|below -15 °||down|
|to -45 °||down|
Highlander Echo 350 - see in the store
Highlander Echo 250 - see in the store
Phase II - Sleeping bag shape and its structure
|Sleeping bag shape||Advantages (+) and disadvantages (-)|
|Mummy||+ anatomical shape
+ low weight
+ low heat loss
+ ideal for hikers, trekkers,
lovers bicycle trips
- little freedom of movement
|Envelope (quilt)||+ rectangular shape
+ full-length zip
+ freedom of entry and exit
+ ideal for camping, trips to the sea
- takes up more space than a mummy
- greater heat loss
|Let's move (mummy
|+ extended mummy shape (sleeping option in the fetal position)|
|Elephant leg||+ tube shape elephant legs
+ possibility of comfortable sitting or standing
+ works mainly among hunters, fishermen, photographers
or people observing nature
- they cover only the lower body
|Overalls||+ easy to move
+ adhering to the body
+ intended mainly for people participating
in alpine expeditions and lovers of travel to the polar regions,
as well as for specific outdoor groups, e.g. hunters
Highlander Sleephaven - see in the store
Mil-Tec Commando - see in the store
|Hood||Additional head protection against excessive heat loss.|
|Zipper||Preferably when it is run along the entire length –
this ensures better freedom of getting out and entering the sleeping bag.
An additional advantage is the 2-slide zipper, which allows unfastening
sleeping bag on two sides.
|Thermal strip||Used with locks to provide additional protection against wind.|
|Pockets||Allows you to store necessary items close together.
Thanks to this, in a crisis situation we are sure that we are taking with us what is most important.
|Thermal collar||Additional neck and wind protection.
This option is perfect when sleeping at a lower temperature.
|Insulated pocket||An ideal option for people who like warmth.
The insulation pocket is an additional space with insulating material,
which protects the feet from the cold.
|Anti-slip belts||Non-slip structure to prevent the material from slipping on the ground, e.g. mat.|
|Cover for easy carrying the sleeping bag;
best if it has compression straps or a welt -
thanks to this, you can reduce the size of the folded sleeping bag and gain additional
space for other things.
Phase III – Filling
|Type of filling||Advantages (+) and disadvantages (-)|
|Sleeping bag with
|+ good thermal properties
+ high moisture resistance
+ fast drying properties
+ lower price than down sleeping bags
+ ideal for trips in trainings with a high rate
- take up more space than down sleeping bags
- not suitable for high mountain expeditions
|Sleeping bag with
|+ excellent thermal
+ good moisture management
+ extremely light
+ takes up little space
+ long service lifeć
- not recommended when traveling to kayaks, tropics, caves
and under the sails
- does not give heat after soaking
- absorbs more moisture - dries long
- requires proper cleaning
- unsuitable for people who are allergic to down
Phase IV – Material
|- high strengthć
- resistant to sunlight (does not fade)
- nice in touch
- good thermal properties
- does not deform on the skin
- optimal breathability
|Cotton||- ideal in summer
- good air permeability
- more susceptible to dirt
- heavier than other materials
|PolyCotton||- a combination of polyester and cotton|
- very durable
- easy to clean
- some materials have additional reinforcement Rip-Stop,
which increases the fabric's resistance to abrasion and tearing.
Highlander Sleepline 250 Mummy - see in the store
Highlander Echo 400 - see in the store
Phase V – Purchase
It remains only to decide in which store you will buy a sleeping bag :)
- note the stitching used in the sleeping bag; they prevent the filling from moving,
- remember that the sleeping bag does not heat, it only insulates heat. You warm the inside of the sleeping bag with your body, so go into the sleeping bag warmed up, e.g. drink warm tea,
- everyone feels the temperature differently, a good model of your friend's sleeping bag does not necessarily have to be the right solution for you,
- do not buy an oversized sleeping bag, especially when you are buying a sleeping bag for a child. When the sleeping bag is too big, a large, empty space is created inside, which absorbs heat, as a result it will be colder,
- if you decide on a down sleeping bag, make sure that at a temperature + 5 °, choose a suitable mat that will protect the sleeping bag from moisture.
Author: Joanna Rassmus